VIP also used in devices such as the CSS 11000 range and denotes a "Virtual
IP". For instance, a VIP is set up on the CSS as the address which the
public will see, or DNS will resolve to, the content switch then load
balances across real addresses of servers.
Also used in the same context with Foundry kit.

Gaz

 wrote in message
> I agree that Versatile Interface Processor is the common usage, but if you
> look up VIP in the Cisco Press Internetworking Technologies Handbook, it
> actually refers to Vines Internetwork Protocol :-)
> And if you search for "VIP" on CCO, you get a lot of hits for the Cisco 30
> VIP, which would appear to be "a first-generation, full-featured IP
> telephone for executives and managers".  Otherwise referred to as a "voice
> instrument" (what's wrong with "telephone" anyway?  A "voice instrument"
> sounds like a tenor or something similar to me).
> When I looked VIP up on an online acronym dictionary, it came back with
> "Variable Information Processing" and the well-known OSI layer 8 concept
> "Very Important Person".
>
> So... what was the context again?  ;-)
>
> JMcL
> ----- Forwarded by Jenny Mcleod/NSO/CSDA on 30/08/2001 02:02 pm -----
>

> "Circusnuts"
>
> cc:
>                     Sent by:             Subject:     Re: VIP
> [7:17775]
>
> nobody@groups
>
> tudy.com
>

> 30/08/2001
>                     01:03
> pm
>
> Please
>                     respond
>
> "Circusnuts"
>

> It's the Versatile Interface Processor option.  These are used for local
> processing in the 75xx routers & I are much the same theory as a CAM
> (Carrier Access Module) in the LS1010's.  If you have a VIP installed the
> actual processing takes place on the shelf (locally).  Port adapters slide
> into the VIP, giving you local processing of say a FE, ATM, or even an
> Encryption accelerator.  The best example I can think of is with ATM.
> There
> was a module installed a couple of years ago called an AIP.  The AIP was
> the
> ATM Interface Processor.  It took up the entire shelf & used the 75xx's
> back
> plane to connect to the RSP (Route Switch Processor).  When the VIP's were
> released, you then could save your RSP processes by using a VIP & an ATM
PA