you might use it if you had say an access-server
e.g you got group-async 1 and group-async
the router wont let you do 'ip address 10.0.0.1 255.0.0.0" on both interfaces
so instead you would assign 10.0.0.1 to loopback 0
and then in group-async 1 & 2
ip unnumbered loopback 0
  thus giving them both the same ip :)

Justin