From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Michael L. Williams
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2001 5:55 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Don't think this is true ! Re: CCIE One-Day Lab layout
[7:18337]

Although there are some features that the Native IOS doesn't support that
the CatOS does, they are few and far between, and Cisco is quickly
integrating all CatOS functionality into Native IOS.  I don't think moving
away from CatOS is a major loss.  Using the Native IOS gives a uniformity to
the command line and the modes used to configure a piece of hardware, which
IMHO is a BIG plus for everyone involved.  I disagree that Hybrid (CatOS) is
"far more intuitive, scalable and flexible".  I say this because I'm much
more familiar with IOS commands than CatOS Set commands, so whether or not
it's more intuitive really depends on what you've used more.  As far as
scalable and flexible, keep in mind it's the same hardware with the same
capabilites either way, so I can't say that using CatOS as opposed to Native
IOS makes much of a difference.  If anything, using the Native IOS gives the
advantage of using Distributed CEF, which can't be done with Hybrid.  IMHO,
Native IOS is more flexible because now every port in the chassis can be
used as a switchport or as a router interface.  With the CatOS, you need to
designate a port in a VLAN, then go to the MSFC and assign an IP to that
VLAN, etc.... with Native, you simply configure that port as you would a
router interface and it's treated as such.   I have noticed that most people
that order the 6500s don't get Native IOS on it, however CatOS is still the
default and many people aren't aware that Native IOS is even an option.
However, every single shop I've seen that is large is running Native because
it conserves IPs, etc......

If you get a chance, throw the Native IOS on a switch before you send it
out..... you can always convert back to CatOS.  Just remember not to erase
the boot image from the MSFC bootflash =)  (If you have MSFC2, you don't
need the boot image to use Native IOS.  However, if you have MSFC1, you need
a boot image for Native IOS.  No matter which MSFC you have, you need a boot
image for CatOS, so that's the one you don't wanna erase if you're just
wanting to "try out" Native and then convert back later)

Here's a link on how to get from CatOS (Hybrid) to Native......

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/81.shtml

Here's a link on how to convert from Native back to Hybrid......

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/80.shtml

Enjoy!!!

Mike W.

"Christopher Supino"  wrote in message
> That would be a shame if it were true, as CatOS, for the platform it runs,
> is a far superior operating system IMHO. Far more intuitive, scaleable and
> flexible. I'd hate to see it go. I've implemented quite a few of the
> Cat6xxxs and I've never had a customer request Native IOS on the box, so I
> unfortunately have not seen it first hand. Have to try that pre-deployment
> on the next one. :)
>
> Chris Supino
> CCNP, CCDP, MCSE, CNA5, ASE
> Senior Network Design Engineer
> TransNet Corporation

IOS
> in the lab..... just a guess tho.
>
> Mike W.
>
> "Ahmed Mamoor Amimi"  wrote in message
> > Is 6500 the router SET base as those of 5000 series or the IOS like 1900
> or
> > routers....
> >
> > I also agree that they will not put PIX in the exam ..... i think that
> rack
> > will contain PIX but we will not have
> > to config it .... it will be for other CCIE track.
> >
> > -Mamoor
> > "Brian H. Jones"  wrote in message
> > > I dont know about the PIX but the 6500s will replace the 5500s.   That
> you
> > > can count on.
> > >

> > > "jc0"  wrote in message
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> with

ONE-DAY
> > > CCIE

> > switching.