A lot of people use the term "frame" only when discussing a data-link-layer
protocol data unit. The term "packet" is used only when discussing a
network-layer protocol data unit. Many experts are loose with these terms,
however. I'm working with an expert right now who doesn't bother with those
definitions and uses the terms interchangeably.

Segment, on the other hand, does have a specific meaning. It is the
protocol data unit used by TCP.

Priscilla

>Hello All:
>
>I'm reading a lot of TCP/IP books and it seems no one author breaks down
>what
>a frame, packet or segment is.  Can anyone define what these are or where I
>might find a site that explains?
>
>thank you

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com