At 02:51 PM 9/4/01, Leigh Anne Chisholm wrote:
> From what I understand, the term "segment" is used to describe a
>connection-oriented protocol at the Transport layer.  The term "datagram" is
>used to describe a connectionless protocol at the Transport layer.
>
>"Segment" isn't specific to TCP - but rather all connection-oriented
>protocols that operate at the Transport layer.

What are some other examples?

AppleTalk Transaction Protocol (ATP) doesn't use the term "segment."
Neither does the AppleTalk Datastream Protocol (ADSP). They are both
connection-oriented transport-layer protocols.

NetWare Core Protocol (NCP) doesn't use "segment." Neither does NetWare
Sequenced Packet Exchange (SPX).

Some explanations of the DECnet Network Services Protocol (NSP) do use
"segment."

I can't remember for Banyan VINES! Maybe it does!? ;-)

A quick look at Tannenbaum, who does a nice job with generic but technical
descriptions of the layers, found no use of the word segment. He uses the
OSI term Transport Protocol Data Unit (TPDU) and the term "message."  He
doesn't even use segment when discussion TCP.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com