I have been excluded once again from the list, but this may get through at
some point.

I checked Banyan VINES and it doesn't use the term segment for the Inter
Process Communications (IPC) protocol which provides both datagram and
reliable message delivery service. VINES doesn't use segment for the
Sequenced Packet Protocol (SPP) either, which provides a reliable virtual
connection service. See:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/vines.htm

AppleTalk Transaction Protocol (ATP) doesn't use the term "segment."
Neither does the AppleTalk Datastream Protocol (ADSP). They are both
connection-oriented transport-layer protocols.

NetWare Core Protocol (NCP) doesn't use "segment." Neither does NetWare
Sequenced Packet Exchange (SPX).

Some descriptions of the DECnet Network Services Protocol (NSP) use
"segment." Most descriptions of NSP do not use the term. See
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/decnet.htm

A quick look at Tannenbaum, who does a nice job with generic but technical
descriptions of the layers in his quintessential "Computer Networks," found
no use of the word segment. He uses the OSI term Transport Protocol Data
Unit (TPDU) and the term "message."

Which reminds me, OSI does not use the term segment. It's mostly just TCP
and it is an unfortunate word to use because segment has many other
meanings, such as LAN segment, a segment of memory, etc.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com