Priscilla,

Tell me who excluded you and I'll send my Uncle Guido & Cousin Vinny
after them instanter.  I rely on your posts for classroom discussion
topics.  Paul, don't make me have to put out a contract! :)

Prof. Tom Lisa, CCAI
Community College of Southern Nevada
Cisco Regional Networking Academy

Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

  I have been excluded once again from the list, but this may get
  through at
  some point.

  I checked Banyan VINES and it doesn't use the term segment for the
  Inter
  Process Communications (IPC) protocol which provides both datagram
  and
  reliable message delivery service. VINES doesn't use segment for the
  Sequenced Packet Protocol (SPP) either, which provides a reliable
  virtual
  connection service. See:

  http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/vines.htm

  AppleTalk Transaction Protocol (ATP) doesn't use the term "segment."
  Neither does the AppleTalk Datastream Protocol (ADSP). They are both
  connection-oriented transport-layer protocols.

  NetWare Core Protocol (NCP) doesn't use "segment." Neither does
  NetWare
  Sequenced Packet Exchange (SPX).

  Some descriptions of the DECnet Network Services Protocol (NSP) use
  "segment." Most descriptions of NSP do not use the term. See
  http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/decnet.htm

  A quick look at Tannenbaum, who does a nice job with generic but
  technical
  descriptions of the layers in his quintessential "Computer Networks,"
  found
  no use of the word segment. He uses the OSI term Transport Protocol
  Data
  Unit (TPDU) and the term "message."

  Which reminds me, OSI does not use the term segment. It's mostly just
  TCP
  and it is an unfortunate word to use because segment has many other
  meanings, such as LAN segment, a segment of memory, etc.

  Priscilla

  Priscilla Oppenheimer
  http://www.priscilla.com
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]