From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2001 6:49 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: TCP seq changed when cross Cisco PIX 525 [7:18764]

Always starting with TCP sequence number 1 is a bad thing. It makes it easy
for a hacker to guess what the sequence number is and insert himself into a
connection establishment.

So PIX and other firewalls let you randomize the starting sequence number
for TCP implementations that don't already do this.

Priscilla

At 02:48 AM 9/6/01, Anatoly Shein wrote:
>Hi
>I was encountered with strange situation.
>Probably one of your can help/heard about something alike.
>
>Problem description:
>There is sun machine connected to pair of Cisco PIX 525
>On sun there is software sent TCP SYN probe packets
>with sequence number starts from 1 and increments for each packet.
>packets sent 1 for 50 mili seconds
>When packet cross router the sequence number is changed.
>This change is consistent for one set of packets but is not
>for subsequent set of packets
>
>for example :
>before cisco            after cisco
>1. TCP syn seq = 1      seq = 1 + x