At 09:30 AM 9/9/01, Anatoly Shein wrote:
>Hi
>I'm not worried about hackers, the sending probe machine is not configured

You're different from the rest of the world then.

>receive any packet of this port. Actually probe is not sent via TCP stack,
>but using raw socket
>Therefore any hackers attempt to sent me packet will be answered with RST
>frame.

Not if you're under attach and are unable to send a RST.

>Also I don't see any disadvantages of seq=1, it is easy to guess what is the
>next seq number

Well, the rest of the world, especially security experts, see a
disadvantage with seq = 1.

>also if you start from 342353122, for example.
>seq can be easy computed as seq next = seq + len + ( ( SYN | FIN ) & flags )
>? 1 : 0;
>Am I wrong ?

The problem occurs where the hacker doesn't actually see the first frame
and has no idea what the sequence number is but is still able to send a
reply that looks legitimate.

It's documented in most security explanations. Do some research. Check
descriptions of IP spoofing. I did a search on Google and immediately found
this article that looks pretty good:

http://www.fc.net/phrack/files/p48/p48-14.html

Priscilla

>toly