It's not a stupid question at all.  I have only had consistent success with
token ring once I started using IBM MAUs and Type 1 cable.  If you must use
Cat 5 or Cat 3 cable with RJ45 ends, then use an adapter that converts to
IBM type1 at the other end of the cable(that would be for going from IBM to
RJ-45, or, even better, get shielded cable that has RJ-45 at one end and
Type 1 big, ugly hermaphrodite plug at the other end.

This is not the first time I have seen this kind of question on this forum,
and I would appreciate someone explaining why the IBM stuff works so much
better.  Is it teh shielding?  Or is it that all the DB-9 to RJ-45 media
filters are screwed up?  (I did have some success when I made  direct attach
cables to connect workstations to my Catalyst 1800 token ring switch.)

Tom Larus
CCNP, MCSE (and passed CCIE written qualifier)
""Ahmed Mamoor Amimi""  wrote in message
> Hi all,
>         I know this is a stupid question but u guys have to answer.....  I
> have 2502 and a SMC MAU and want to connect
> my 2502 with it.... but when i use a simple straigt cable to router and
MAU
> they both just tick and tick and router dont
> get into the ring.... should i have to use other cable or i have to
RING-IN