From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2001 11:24 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Bandwidth on Frame Relay [7:20389]

At 09:52 AM 9/19/01, Ole Drews Jensen wrote:
>Until now, my understanding of the bandwidth command on an interface was
>that it was only used by some of the dynamic routing protocols, but last
>night I read in my CIT book that you normally set the bandwidth to the CIR
>when you use Frame Relay.
>
>Does that mean that the router actually looks at the bandwidth specified by
>you when deciding when to set the DE bit to 0 or 1?

I think the reason to set the bandwidth to the CIR is so that the composite
metric used by IGRP and EIGRP and the bandwidth-based metric used by OSPF
are based on reality about capacity on the link rather than a default
setting.

It has to do with routing protocols and deciding which path to insert into
the routing table. It doesn't have to do with the router's other main job
of forwarding packets.

We have had many discussions about when the DE bit gets set and I must
admit I haven't followed them. But I think the gist of them was that it's
set by the provider if you go over the DE. The router doesn't normally set
it. Probably all those bizarre queuing algorithms affect this though. (I
know there are some cases where the router sets it...) John N. knows all
about Fido Fido queuing, etc. Plus you can find a lot in the archives.

Priscilla

>Thanks,
>
>Ole
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~