Well, I've got some progress. I can see the 4700 from another router using
show cdp nei. So probably the sub25pin is bad. It's brand new though. I'll
try to round up another somewhere.

I've got a different problem now. It's got three 2 ethernet port modules in
it. I wanted to confirm they all work, so plug the ethernet cable in all,
but only the first module works. Looking at the front of the router, there
are three lights for each of the modules. I assume they light up to confirm
it's recognized, but only the module I could confirm with show cdp is lit
up. Is it in fact so that these should be lit all the time? I've reseated
all the memory/flash/and these modules, but no change in the light status.
Thanks, Marcus