Ooops. I did read "maximum" where it says "minimum." Sorry. I guess the
8-dB attenuator inserts loss into the link and he's going to need one on
each end.

The reference says:

The minimum link distance for ZX GBICs is 6.2 miles (10 km) with an 8-dB
attenuator installed at each end of the link. Without attenuators, the
minimum link distance is 24.9 miles (40 km).

I'm assuming by "50 M" he meant meters, not miles? ;-)

Thanks for clarifying this. I figured I was suffering from some kind of
dain bramage when I wrote the message.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com