Hard luck on trying to simplify it Mark :-)

Not sure I've grasped what you're doing, but best guess.
Are you trying to connect a PC to a port which you have configured as a
trunk?
****The trunk should be between your switches only.****  (Normally)

I think what someone has suggested is to put your two devices 1.5 and 1.248
into the same VLAN, then use the trunk between the switches to carry this
VLAN. (So both devices could be in VLAN 4 for instance, and your trunk would
include VLAN 4 as well as any others which you are running across the two
switches).
This then limits the size of the broadcast domain which your devices are
within, if it's broadcasts you're trying to control.

Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick, and the above would seem
to be rubbish.

Gareth