From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Sean Young
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 4:18 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: seraching for tacacs server [7:20872]

Mike,

you are correct about the recent trend on Network Engineering in general
and Cisco Engineer in particular.  These recent CCIEs know nothing
else but Cisco (not that they are expert to begin with).  Most don't even
know how to write simple shell script on Unix platforms.  If this sound
like I am bashing Cisco Engineers, I am not but it is just the fact.  It
just repeats over and over again.

On the other hand, I have to say that almost every Juniper Network
Certified Internet Expert (JNCIE) engineers that I've met so far not only
an expert with Cisco Technolog but these guys can also program (mostly
with PERL and shell) in addition to Juniper products (M-series routers).
These guys are just a different breed of animals, in a class by
themselves.  I guess it must be because JUNOS are pretty Unix-oriented.

Just my .02c

>From: "Mike Sweeney" >Reply-To: "Mike Sweeney" >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: seraching for tacacs server [7:20872] >Date: Tue, 25 Sep
2001 10:12:58 -0400 > >Sean- > >For what it's worth, you nailed it on the
head about the old debate of >Wintel and Linux( Unix) I happen to have a
small background in Solaris and >over the last few years, it has proven
to be invaluable as a network >engineer. Either from understanding how
things work to being able to have an >intelligent conversation with the
Unix admins. > >A trend I'm starting to see in two different jobs now is
that the Cisco >geeks are coming in with ONLY cisco knowledge.. they are
clueless about Unix >, windows or anything else on the wire. Needless to
say this causes no end >of problems. > >As far as TACACS goes, I went
looking last weekend myself for it and >everything pointed to it being
deleted from Cisco's web site as an EOL >product. I found a freebie for
my linx box at www.tuxfinder.com...even in >the RPM package for us lazy
misconduct and Nondisclosure violations to [EMAIL PROTECTED]