The only other way that I know of to avoid crashing the router, and getting
useful "sniff" of the WAN traffic, is to use a V.35 protocol analyzer, such
as the HP Internet Advisor.  This is a pricey unit, but if you do this stuff
regularly (as my coworkers and I do), it is the easiest, and most
presentable
way to do this.  Note: There is a short disruption of service while
inserting
and removing the V.35 Y-cable used to do this.

Internet Advisor generates some very management-friendly reports, used to
present findings to people of a slightly more non-technical background.  It
also has many VERY powerful features (think: SnifferPro-like GUI).

I am sure there are other very similiar products out in the field, I am only
explaining what I have used.  At the present time, this is only the HP
Internet Advisor.

Regards,
  Trevor J Corness, CCNA CCDA JNCIS NNCSS MCSE
  Radian Communication Services Corporation
  http://www.radiancorp.com