I honestly have never tried leaving the Y-Cable in on critical links...
normally I do this stuff on an outside-contractor basis from the perspective
of the "company" (my client).  I offer outside services at a Communications
company, my job is to design, install, and troubleshoot networks for many
clients.  As a result, I only have 1 Y-Cable V.35 for the Internet Advisor,
and it always leaves with me, when the unit is no longer used.  I will try
research this in a lab, and let you know what conclusion I come up with.

Now I know what I am going to fill my 2 spare hours with tomorrow morning.