Let's say you want to run frame relay or hdlc using serial interfaces on two
routers, but don't have any ip addresses to waste, you can use the ip
addresses of the ethernet or token ring interfaces as the ip addresses for
your serial interfaces.  This stuff is easy to look up on Cisco's web site.
so check for configs there.
A simple example would be something like:

int s0
ip unnumbered e0

You are telling the router to use e0's address for the serial link.  Now one
would think that this would not work, because the ethernet interfaces on two
routers usually will not have ip addresses in the same subnet (unless you
are set them up on the same subnet in a practice lab).  Somehow it all
works, though.  I need to play with it some more.

I used ip unnumbered when I was trying to get ip ospf demand-circuit to work
where the isdn link was a backup to a frame relay link.  (Yes, this is
apparently similar to a notorious ccbootcamp lab, but I didn't know that
until I started noticing people posting to the lab list answers to questions
I was having.)

Thomas Larus