I think a lot of the ISPs are doing this for the smaller customers..
For example, we put in on the side, an internet router for a small law firm
using MCI and instead of giving us an address for the
serial interface, they wanted me to ip unnumber it from ethernet port.

Saves them some ip addresses for the serial link... but kinda screws it up
for management purposes and then if you are running NAT, I think you might
run into some problems there.

But then again the customers really dont care as long as the few users can
surf the net.

Paul