I know with the defective 1900 I had, the ports that I had that were bad
also turned the system LED orange as well.  I suspect the 2900XL would do
the same if that were the problem.

What you likely have, is a case of a Spanning Tree loop.  The ports are
disabled because of a loop.  Check your spanning tree protocol information
to see if that's the case.

Alternatively, the ports could have been disabled due to an address
violation - but because of the hubs, depending on how you've got them
connected, I suspect you've got a loop.

  -- Leigh Anne