> Here is my story.... I have been taking 'C ' programming for the last 2
> months at the local college and I need some advice on what languages I
> should learn, or master, so I can become a network programmer?  To me a

Well, in the olden ancient days (about 15 years ago or earlier) the answer
would have been 'machine code'.  But since y'all don't study that anymore,
that's a moot point.  Nowadays, source code can be transported and compiled
on almost any system, so the languages that are closest to the hardware and
the most effieient are the best bet.  I don't know how 'bloated' C++ is, but
C used to be a very compact language when it got compiled and linked.

> network programmer would be someone that either programs network
> hardware, such as routers and switches, or possibly someone that writes
> drivers for network products, or creates network management software, or
> something along those lines, that is OS independent.  I know that if you

Not so true anymore.  Network programmers are needed at the application
level too, above the driver level.  Because most applications are 'network
aware', coding those apps to work over a network (as opposed to memory or
local disk storage) is an important aspect of the performance of the code.
Many of us network engineers grimace at the network resources (high
bandwidth, low round-trip latency, 'do not accept fragmented packets', small
data packets, highly interactive and high frequency chattyness between
client and server or between servers, etc) required by some of the software
out there for good reason - the programmers treated the network as an
unlimited private resource rather than a shared limited bandwidth resource.
A couple of good network programmers involved in the development of that
code would have been a great help in those cases.

> want to write for Unix , you should learn C very well, but how about if
> you wanna code for routers and switches or embedded systems.  Should I
> focus on C++ more so than C???  I want to go into an area where job
> stability is important.  I don't necessarily want to work for the same

A area where there is job stability, eh?  Have you considered owning a
convenience store, or some sort of civil service?  Those two are probably
pretty stable job areas.  High tech is notoriously unstable.  We could
probably take a poll on this list to see who has ever been RIF'ed (laid
off).  I'd raise my hand as a 'yes' to that question.  At least twice.  In
15 years.