Mangled again. Is it because I use Eudora and a Macintosh mail server that
I can't participate in this group effectively? Just wondering. I'm pretty
sick of spending a lot of time on an answer and having it either not posted
or mangled. Kvetch, kvetch. I'm just adding some text here so that the URL
won't be too near the top and be eliminated (yet another bug with the
list). OK, hopefully that's enough.

See this document for the answer that I wrote (hopefully this won't be
mangled too).

http://www.priscilla.com/tftp.html.

Priscilla

At 01:23 PM 10/18/01, Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
>This list either filters my answers or mangles them.
>
>I'll make another try here. It it comes out mangled again, I'll post it
>somewhere on my Web site when I have time.
>

>TFTP is a trivial protocol running on top of a trivial protocol (UDP). You
>shouldn't expect it to have good throughput.
>
>TFTP uses a block size of 512 bytes. The protocol is a command/reply
>(Ping-Pong protocol) with no windowing, flow control, etc. The protocol
>looks like this:
>
>Write Request->
>

>If there are any problems, the application-layer TFTP notices a missing ACK
>and retransmits.
>
>FTP, on the hand uses TCP. It looks more like:
>
>SYN my segment (packet size) is 1500
>SYN ACK my segment size is also 1500
>ACK
>
>GET (FTP command), TCP receive window is 8,192 (or whatever)->
>
>Hey All. I was wondering if someone could help me out with a problem i'm
> >working on. It's very weird to me and I can't find any reason why this may
> >be happening other than possible a Queuing issue. Please comment.
> >
> >           I've done some testing to show the response issues from
>spikinisse
> >to an auburn hills tftp/ftp box.  When a 9 meg
> >         file is copied from one of the 6509's in Spijkenisse using tftp
we
> >see a speed of 4k/sec (9041904 bytes copied in 2251.956 secs (4016
> >bytes/sec)
> >         However, when I ftp'd a 2meg file from a server in Spijkenisse to
> >the same server in Auburn Hills, I see a speed of 166k/sec (2024013 bytes
> >sent in 12
> >         seconds (166.12 Kbytes/s)   Seeing as in Spijkinisse it is
> >approximately 8pm and they have 4 E1's, there should not be an issue with
> >over-utilization.
> >         It intrigue's me as to how a UDP based application (tftp) can
have
> >such a ridiculously slow speed of 4k/sec and a TCP based application (ftp)
> >has an
> >         average speed (considering 4 e1's) of 166k/sec.
> >
> >         Spikinisse has a group of E1's to the cloud and our site in
Auburn
> >Hills has a full DS3 to the cloud.
> >
> >Spik is in the Netherlands, and Auburn Hills is in the US.  Any more
> >information I need to provide?
>
>Priscilla Oppenheimer
>http://www.priscilla.com

Priscilla Oppenheimer