Max DRAM on a Sup I is 20MB. I'll assume 4 soldered on the board plus one
stick of 4 or 16. Older hardware versions 1.6 and below? of the Sup I
required a special DRAM SIMM that Cisco really charged for. Verify your
hardware version before buying any DRAM. I've used www.rockymountainram.com
for other DRAM and Flash. There are folks on this list who also sell DRAM.
The highest OS that a Sup I can support is something like 4.5(9). You will
have to update OS in steps. First a 3xx version, then the 4.5 version. Look
on CCO for instructions for updating CatOS. It will specify exactly what you
have to do. It will also provide the required DRAM and Flash values.
IMHO You should be able to inexpensively upgrade your Sup I to learn the
basics of switching. When you need to learn more then consider the Sup III.