Thanks Mark for your reply.

I happened to see someone mention that certain cisco router can act as a
pppoe-client. After I check out cisco website, I am happy to see that my
little 1601 with 12.2.4T support pppoe.

It takes me an hour last night to get it working. forgot to put " ppp chap
hostname" and "ppp chap password" first, later, find out that my isp only
accept pap, after change to pap, still not working. after change " ppp
authen pap " to ppp authen pap callin" , finally it works . I got public IP
and my Vi1 is up. Still don't know why I should put callin there. Do I call
my isp or my isp will call me?

>From the pppoe client I have on my PC, I see the option " idle timeout" , I
guess when I set to 24hr, and have some activity , then I may keep that ip .
for the router, I am not sure where i put this info. But at least , I can
pcanywhere into my pc, then console into router and get router's public IP,
then telnet into the router from internet. I will check my ip on PC each
morning to make sure I can access it from internet.

I can bear with the ip change, my original question is " I can telnet from
internet into my win98, but when I am in command console, I cannot telnet
out to my router. " . Maybe only Unix can do that. Anyway, it is not
important anymore.

Regards
Raymond