Thomas,
The licenses do not transfer.  If you buy the hardware and want to put it on
Smartnet,
then Cisco wants to resell you a license and will most likely send a third
party out to
"recertify the equipment".

The process is not hard.  Basically you order new licenses and smartnet and
then they
will schedule someone to check it out.

If you are purchasing gear let me know.  I have a list of .com gear I can
forward you.
I know a financial company who just foreclosed on a .com.

Mike Paulson

Thomas Larus wrote:

> I have the same question about Smartnet.  If equipment is currently covered
> by smartnet, and you buy it, can you buy a replacement smartnet contract in
> your own name.  I understand that the original smartnet contract belongs to
> the original owner, but I am wondering whether you can take out a new one
on
> the equipment..
>
> As for software licenses,  if you buy a router that was licensed for
> Enterprise IOS, does the license stay with the former owner, or go with the
> router?
> In this age of dying dotcoms with first-rate, almost new equipment, it
would
> be a shame if Cisco set up the contracts so that almost-new equipment
> becomes worthless in the hands of anyone but the original owners, but that
> could be how it works.  Please reply to the group, because I'll bet lots of
> other people would like to know the answers to these questions.
>
> Thomas Larus
> Patrick Ramsey""  wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I have a chance to bid on a 6509 that a out of business company is trying
> > get rid of.  The unit is equipped as follows.
> >
> > ws-x6k-sup1a-2ge sup module
> > ws-x6408a 8port gig ethernet
> > ws-x6248rj48 48 port 10/100
> > 100-240 volt60-50hz/16-8amp/1800 watt power supply 6 fan cooling blade
> >
> > My question is this?  Can smartnet still be applied to used gear?  this
> will
> > have a great play in how much it's worth.  If so, what are your opinions?
> > If not, what are your opinions?
> >
> > -Patrick

[GroupStudy.com removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name
of michael.paulson.vcf]