>  > so the risk of a bridge loop is better than a recalculation of spanning
>tree
>>  ;->
>>
>sure, especially when you KNOW you're in a loop-free environment.  of
>course, my motto is "spanning tree bridging, don't leave home without it".
>
>I've seen goofy things happen without spanning tree or with partial spanning
>tree running in a looped environment.  (don't ask about 'partial spanning
>tree' - I still can't figure out how they did that and why)  And I've seen
>goofy things happen with spanning tree in big redundant environments,
>especially with respect to not being able to control which ports get
>disabled in a loop path.  The morale of the story there is the path you want
>to have disabled (the redundant one between switches) will always be
>enabled, and vice versa (as in the uplink to the router will be disabled).

Perhaps not a general application, but the intercarrier exchange
point operators have been pleading for switches where STP is off by
default.  Now, understand their environment is very controlled, with
point-to-point or at most point-to-two-point links among routers
through a common fabric.  They use VLANs as points on a virtual patch
panel. They may use them to distinguish among customers (who are
ISPs), and possibly between multicast and unicast services.

There was a presentation at the last Washington NANOG on this, by
Paul Vixie.  There is even more continuing discussion in the European
Exchange Point Operators mailing list under RIPE.