I would think this reference would apply to a trunk going from an L2
device to an L3 device.  It would make sense to shut off STP since
it's not needed in this situation and the L3 device may not recognize
STP and report those frames as invalid causing error stats to
increment.

-Julian

""Leigh Anne Chisholm""  wrote in message
: Actually, Cisco teaches that in certain circumstances in the Core,
you want
: to disable Spanning Tree Protocol (STP).  I don't have the
courseware with
: me at the moment, but I guess the thinking is that with Core layer
devices,
: you don't run anything extraneous that takes away from the primary
role of
: high-speed packet switching.  STP is considered extraneous when it's
not
: required.
:
: Instead of me posting from Cisco's course material once I'm at home,
why not
: search Cisco for this information... if you're interested in knowing
more.
:
:
:   -- Leigh Anne