My guess, which could be totally wrong:

You have service password-encryption on, so the text after the 7 in your
password string should be encrypted. It is in your username statements,
which decrypts to cisco, but according to the configs "cisco" is the
encrypted password in the ppp pap sent-username which doesn't decrypt (has
to be hex values).

If you put in ppp pap sent-username 7 cisco it takes cisco as the encrypted
password and tries to decrypt it.
You need to put in
"ppp pap sent-username 7 045802150C2E"
or
"ppp pap sent-username 7 02050D480809" (or any one of many possibilities)

or
"ppp pap sent username cisco"

I think!!!

Enough for someone else to knock me down in flames anyway

Good luck,

Gaz