You must either have the msfcautostate disabled or a bug:)  I just
thought I see for myself again though I know I've seen it several
times.  This switch is running 6.3.1 and IOS 12.1(8a)E4.

  SRM is really new, haven't set it up yet but you can get the flexwan
redundancy in the config-sync mode as well.  with config-sync the active
SUP has the active MSFC so you know who controls the flexwan that way
also.

  How quickly does the standby MSFC take over the flexwan if you yank
the active SUP??  The last time I tested the config-sync it was about 60
seconds, not to hot.

  Dave

MSFC16(config-if)#$1.1 255.255.255.0 alt ip add 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.0
MSFC16(config-if)#no shut
MSFC16(config-if)#^Z
MSFC16#
1w3d: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Vlan333, changed state to down
1w3d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan333, changed
state to
down
MSFC16#
MSFC16#
MSFC16#
MSFC16#
MSFC16#
1w3d: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by vty0 (127.0.0.21)sh
int vlan 3
33
Vlan333 is down, line protocol is down
  Hardware is Cat6k RP Virtual Ethernet, address is 00d0.06f3.0ffd (bia
00d0.06f
3.0ffd)
  Internet address is 1.1.1.2/24
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
  ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
  Last input never, output never, output hang never
  Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
  Queueing strategy: fifo
  Output queue :0/40 (size/max)
     0 packets input, 0 bytes, 0 no buffer
     0 packets output, 0 bytes, 0 underruns
     0 output errors, 2 interface resets

Andrew Cook wrote:

> I thought the same thing, but if you have two independent MSFCs in a
> chassis, both with a VLAN interface configured (same vlan) and the vlan is
> configured on the switch but with no port members, the MSFC interfaces do
> indeed come up.  I verified this in my lab.
> However, same scenario with the MSFCs running in SRM caused the vlan
> interface to remain down/down until I added a port to the vlan.
> I have been testing SRM and it seems to work well.  Given that you aren't
> going to truly reap the benefits of HSRP unless you use multiple chassis, I
> would recommend you upgrade to code that supports SRM.  It also solves what
> has been a sticky problem for me - which MSFC gets control of FlexWAN
cards!

> Andrew Cook
>
> ""MADMAN""  wrote in message
> > He doesn't need to trunk between switches, this is a single switch
> > with two MSFC's.  Your HSRP looks fine but are the interfaces up??  If
> > you have no switch ports active in the designated VLANs the MSFC VLAN
> > will not come active.
> >
> >   The management VLAN stuff is VTP, nothing to do with your problem.
> >
> >   Do a sh stand vlan x, see what state they ae in.
> >
> >   Dave
> >
> > Brant Stevens wrote:
> > >
> > > Are you trunking on any other ports?  You need to trunk between
switches
> if
> > > you want routing amongst multiple VLANs to become redundant via the
> > MSFCs...

Show