>From what I have read the differences are in that no "Desktop" protocols are
tested in the CCIE Security. Strictly IP from what I can tell which in
itself is attractive since in 14 years thats all Ive seen on the job. All I
wish to see for that matter, since cant see anyone starting up a new house
on anything else. There are other differences according to the Blueprint not
to mention the possible depth of tested subjects, I was looking for some
input from those that are kind enough to share insight from the actual labs,
without violating the NDA of course. Of course from those who feel they have
some insight on future direction of the biz.
Stop me if Im wrong but dont think anyone is suggesting that there are 1700
lab testing slots even avilible in any month, as for the written tests
....who cares? They just help keep things serious.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Don Claybrook
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2001 8:52 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Ask for suggestions about network security career [7:23816]

I'm looking at this issue from the non-CCIE-of-any-sort-as-yet perspective,
but doesn't the security CCIE require all of the knowledge of a R/S CCIE,
plus the security components?  And if so, why not get the R/S CCIE first and
then work on the security CCIE?  In this way, you could blow right past the
1700 CCIE per month thread posted here recently with the vaunted
double-CCIE.  Worn out brain cells or not, don't you have to have the
knowledge of a Routing & Switching CCIE to be prepared for the Security
CCIE?  My two cents' worth.

Would be interested in this subject as well. I'm at that point where I could
go either way and have concentrated on subjects common to both CCIE R/S and
CCIE Security but must commit to one path soon as it may well be I only get
one shot at getting this right(for once). Security is pulling a lot of press
attention but don't see the corresponding interest in the job market and
what I see reflects a a lack of value of the skills(IMHO), course days are
lean now and the current situation is volatile so we are looking into the
future. R/S is more "fun" and perhaps more flexible but then we are in this
for the money in the end. I know it would be great to do both but there are
limits on my time and my worn out brain cells. Some help gurus? Fortune
tellers? Ms Cleo? Wild as* guesses? All correct answers will receive a
lifetime supply of bragging rights.

Dan