From: John Neiberger [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2001 9:32 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Help in setting up a lab!! [7:23836]

Go to www.kg2.com to get really inexpensive flash memory.  I just bought
three sets from there myself.

As far as routers, you won't want to get all 2501s. A couple of those
would be good but maybe you should get some other 2500 series routers
that have some token ring like a 2504 or 2513.  Then try to pick up a
router with a bunch of serial interfaces that you can use as a frame
relay switch.  A 2520 would work for a small lab but you should probably
get a 2522 or 2523.  The 2523 is hard to find but less expensive.

Regards,
John

>>> "Alex Carvalho"  10/23/01 9:54:13 AM

Thanks John,
I will have to market now 8mb flash memory, any idea how much do they
cost??
About selling all of them and getting 2501's , I will increase the
number of
routers and maybe I can have 2 of them...
I am getting more stuffs like the 7000 series ...I just have to test
all the
boards and market them..I don;t think it is a good idea to have them
installed in a lab..
As far as Switch goes which is the best cost/benefit to have some of
them..

Thanks,
Alex

""John Neiberger""  wrote in message
> [...]
learned
> the hard way last night--is that you may need to upgrade your boot
roms
> to allow the router to accept more memory.  In my case, I had
10.2(5)
> boot roms and they won't accept AMD 8M flash sticks.  I need, at
> minimum, 10.2(7a).  Apparently, Cisco will send you new boot roms
for
> free as long as you pay shipping.  Somewhere in the archives is the
> phone number to call for this.
>
> You may also want to get a token ring MAU and two routers with token
> ring interfaces.  You'll need these more for CCIE studies.
>
> HTH,
> John

> 8:39:00 AM >>>
> So Can I use them or not??
>

> ""EA Louie""  wrote in message
> > > Here goes a simple question that will help me out a lot from now
> one..
> > > I just bought the following equipments from a company that ran
out
> of
> > > business:
> > >
> > > 4 2511
> > > 3 AS2511RJ
> > > 1 2501
> > > 3 catalyst 1200 (older than my grandma!!!)
> >
> > Your grandma is only 9 years old?  ;-)  of course, the 'Crescendo'
> 1200
> was
> > 2 generations of switch ago...
> >

> > > I heard that the IOS of the 1200 is similar to the 5000 , that
is
> much
> > more
> > > expensive!!
> > >
> > > All of them are running 11.x and has 8MB flash
> > >
> > > I have got most of those cables like the octal (2 of them) and I
> have to
> > get
> > > some back to back cables.
> > > I am working towards my CCNP and future CCIE and I would like to
> know
> what
> > > else should I buy to make
> > > my lab or labs up and running. And how much would that cost to
> me??.
> > >

> > You might want one more router with 4 or more serial interfaces so
> you can
> > simulate a frame relay network.  A 2521, 2523, or Cisco 4000 with
an
> NP-4T,
> > and you could conceivably get one of either for $500.  A little
more
> flash
> > wouldn't hurt you either - 8 8M flash simms would be great (crack
> the
> cases
> > to see if the routers have an open flash SIMM slot because your 8M
> flash
> > could be made up of 2 4M flash SIMMs)
> >
> > > I also would like to setup a lab where people could telnet in ..
> >
> > If you set up one terminal server that is accessible via the
Internet