From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Paul Werner
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2001 5:31 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Re: Subject: Re: quick response (help) please [7:24238]

Agreed.  While it is possible to supernet class A
addresses, it is generally impractical for the
most part, unless the ISP/AS that is summarizing
two Class A addresses owns both address spaces
(and they are contiguous).  I might suspect that
somebody such as UUNet or AOL or Sprint might do
it, but checking the ARIN registry and IANA, I
cannot readily find any of them with contiguous
netblocks in the Class A address space for ISP
use.  There are a few, but I would expect those
that exist to get returned back to IANA for
reassignment (watch wrap):

http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space

Class B and Class C address space is an entirely
different matter w.r.t supernetting.  You will
note that just about all of the Class C address
space is set up and optimized for supernetting
based upon registry (read geographic)
allocation.  That makes sense.

HTH,

Paul Werner

---- On Sat, 27 Oct 2001, Thomas Larus
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> Great point.  It's not a supernet of anything.
Not with the first octet
> being 24.
>
> Thomas Larus

please [7:24238]

> > Just as a clarification to what you wrote and
the terminology
> > that you used, how exactly are you defining
a "Supernet,"
> > particularly on this network?
> >
> > v/r,
> >
> > Paul Werner
> >
> > > I could be wrong here, but I would imagine
the reason this
> > works is that
> > > you
> > > have a supernet there, with the mask of
255.255.248.0, so the
> > hosts
> > > address
> > > is not all-ones, so is not treated as a
broadcast address.
> > The host
> > > address
> > > includes 3 binary digits from the third
octet (125), so it
> > works out to
> > > be
> > > 101 11111111.  I guess that zero saves it
from being a
> > broadacst
> > > address.
> > >
> > > Is this right, or did the Cable ISP just
screw up?

> > > Thomas Larus
> > > ""John Green""  wrote in message
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
to my home
connection) is

255 !!!

are rserved