From: Patrick Ramsey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2001 6:17 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Network Drawings [7:24574]

Lori,

a good entwork drawing is based on *YOU* and the people you work with
solely.

When you are on call, what would you need to work on the problem from home?
Can you remember ip addresses?  domain info?  dns info? wins info for each
site?  how about how many switches *should* be in a cluster? How about what
prots have portfast enabled and which should not?  how about ipx network
info?  How about what frame types you are using on the lan and the wan?

My network diagrams are *EXTREMELY* detailed all the way down to what mac
address is supposed to have what ip address and which ports are sticky and
which are not.

Remember, diagrams are only as good as the info on them.  If they don't help
you or your juniors solve a problem, then they're useless.  I try to make it
so that when my juniors are on call, I *DON'T* get called... :)

-Patrick

>>> "Hyde, Lori"  10/29/01 05:12PM >>>
Hi All
I'm wondering what you think of as necessary information on a network
drawing.  I'm thinking that each site will consist of two layers of
drawings, one for the WAN and one for the LAN.
Here's what I have so far as necessary for the wan:
site name - site address - site contact name - wan router address - wan
address range - lan address and range - isp - circuit ID - contact info -
vpn/tunnel addresses.
Anyone have other suggestions?
Also, does anyone have an example of what they think of as a "great" network
drawing?

Lori Hyde CCNA