Charles,

I have a 2523 and just adore it.  From what I've found in my home studies is
that even a low speed serial is good enough for testing. It's all about
routable ports and my 2523 has 8 low speed serials, 2 high-speed serials, a
TR port and I think an ISDN too. I paid $800 for my 2523 with 16/16 which at
the time was a decent price.  I prefer to use that as my frame switch rather
than my 4000.  It's not like you'll be passing tons of traffic over these
links since it would just be in a lab environment so the low-speed serials
are good enough. Hope that helped.

Tim