Hi..

I was going through some subnetting scenarios and came across this stuf
which is confusing for me.We have been given a network range of

10.60.0.0/24.
We have 3 routers which are connected back to back and they all have 3
ethernet ports for 3 ethernet networks.Each subnet will have max. hosts 60
and we also need to design IP addressing for serial links with max.2 IP
addresses to conserve IP addresses.
In the solution it says,
For
60 hosts we need minimum 6 bits ,2^6-2=62 hosts per subnet.
By subnetting 10.60.0.0/24
we get 4 subnets with 26 bit mask.
10.60.0.0/26
10.60.0.64/26
10.60.0.128/26
10.60.0.192/26
NOw my question is that can we use 1st and 4th subnet as the rule says that
u cant use subnet with all 0's and all 1's.
Same way for the network
10.60.0.0/26 the first host would be
10.60.0.1/26 and the broadcast address would be
10.60.0.63/26
Can I use 10.60.0.63 as an IP address ,and If not what will happen if I ping
this broadcast address.
I tried this on Win2k and it allows me to use broadcast ip for a network
interface
.What is the effect of using broadcast IP as a IP address on a network card?

Thanks in advance

Tribavan Raina