On Mar 23,  8:54am, "Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote:
}
} >Good...... but you can't have a subnet with 31 bits.... that would leave 2
} >"hosts" and the network address and the broadcast would use them up, so
you
} >end up with 0 hosts per subnet.  For point-to-point serial links, you'd
} >usually use a /30 (255.255.255.252) which gives you 4 addresses per subnet
} >(1 network, 1 broadcast, and two hosts)
} >
} >Mike W.
}
} Mike, your answer has been correct for a long time.  However, let me
} cite a recent RFC with a lead author from Cisco:
}
} 3021 Using 31-Bit Prefixes on IPv4 Point-to-Point Links. A. Retana, R.
}       White, V. Fuller, D. McPherson. December 2000.

     So, this has finally made it to RFC status.  That's good.

} I believe some recent IOS versions, primarily intended for carriers,
} will support /31 on point-to-point media.

     I would like to see it supported on broadcast media as well.  In
one of my sites, where the client is in the same building as their ISP,
the link between the two is an ethernet connection.  With GigE/10GigE
and fibre, this sort of thing is becoming much more common.

}-- End of excerpt from "Howard C. Berkowitz"