Hi group,

Who have used the 'standby track serial 0' command
before, while configuring HSRP.

I tried it and was disappointed because, my two
upstream providers are connected via a radio
(microwave link). Even when one of them is down, the
radio coneected to the router still send keepalives to
the route and as such the interface does not go down,
and as such the HSRP does not work when any of the
upstream goes down.

Has anyone being able to solve this problem?

Regards

--- Michael Williams  wrote:
> If router A has a higher priority and is setup to
> preempt, then when it
> comes back up (after a failure), it will resume
> being the active.
> If router A does not setup with preempt, it won't
> become the active until
> Router B fails or is restarted, etc.
>
> HSRP works by "projecting" a virtual IP address and
> a virtual MAC address.
> You would configure the clients/workstations with a
> gateway that is the
> virtual IP address (or the standby IP).  Whenever
> the end device sends an
> ARP which the routers resolve to the virtual MAC.
> It is possible to use a
> Burned-in (MAC) Address  (called a BIA) in case the
> default virtual MAC
> causes a problem.  Once the end workstation resolves
> the virtual IP to the
> virtual MAC, it communicates with the virtual MAC,
> in which both routers
> receive and take note of the traffic, but only the
> active router will
> actually forward the traffic.
>
> This is a "in a nutshell" view of HSRP and I'm sure
> there is something that
> I've left out or said wrong, but that's basically
> it..
>
> Mike W.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://personals.yahoo.com