From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Priscilla Oppenheimer
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 1:15 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Collisions on a Serial Line [7:24601]

Whether a protocol is reliable or not has nothing to do with collisions.
Collisions have to do with media access control at the data-link layer.

Ethernet is not reliable. It's best effort. The only problem it monitors is
collisions, (if you're using half-duplex).

Cisco's HDLC is not reliable. That's not relevant as far as to whether it
has collisions, however. What is relevant is its media access control,
which is very simple because there's nothing else sharing its transmit
circuit, so it can send whenever it wants. It's used on point-to-point
circuits.

X.25 is a network-layer protocol so it is not relevant to a question that
is asking about a media-access control function.

Priscilla

At 10:57 PM 10/29/01, Albert Y. Pak wrote:
>That's depending on the WAN side what technology you are using. If you are
>using Frame Relay or HDLC between the WAN side via serial link, there will
>be no collision. Since Frame Relay and HDLC are connection-oriented but not
>reliable. All the re-transmission are done by between 2 hosts of each
>opposite end. In case of using X.25, there will be a collision since X.25
is
>connection-oriented and reliable. 2 routers between the serial line will do
>all the re-transmission. So there will be a collision.
>HTH
>Albert

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com