Mike,

the boot image is just there for those 'in case' moments like the ones you
have you know.... when you copy a msfc2 image onto a msfc  and for some
reason it doesn't boot!

the boot image allows for very basic ios commands, including tftp!

I'm not saying *I've* ever done something SO silly....

so unless the newer boot images support some new faster tftp protocol, why
bother?

-Patrick

>>> "MADMAN"  10/31/01 01:26PM >>>
You can but you don't have to.  My lab MSFC has:

MSFC16#sh ha
IOS (tm) MSFC2 Software (C6MSFC2-JSV-M), Version 12.1(8a)E4, EARLY
DEPLOYMENT RE
LEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac
Compiled Sat 08-Sep-01 16:14 by hqluong
Image text-base: 0x40008980, data-base: 0x418D0000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.1(4r)E, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
BOOTFLASH: MSFC2 Software (C6MSFC2-BOOT-M), Version 12.1(7a)E1,

 I've upgrade the IOS image three times and never touched the boot
image.

  Dave

--
David Madland
Sr. Network Engineer

"Emotion should reflect reason not guide it"