I do not know the answer either, and plan on picking one up to
train with.  However, here is some info that seems to imply that it does
use the standard Cisco Pix Command Line Interface.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/fw.htm

         Note how it says minimum software version 6.1(1).  As for, will it
help you for higher level Pixes, yes it should.  However, one key feature
that is not available on the 501 and 506 is there is not fail
over.  Configuring failover and stateful failover is not really difficult,
but it is something totally new if you just trained from a 501, 506, or
lone 515.

At 05:26 PM 11/1/01 -0500, sam sneed wrote:
>I've already read that. It didn't answer my question though.
>

>""Jonathan Hays""  wrote in message
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > sam sneed wrote:
> >
> > > hello ,
> > >
> > >  I wanted to know if the IOS on PIX 501 is the same as the higher
>models.
> > > The product description on Cisco's site do not specify it.I want to
>learn
> > > PIX and 501 is the cheapest but I want to know if the commands I learn
>and
> > > experience i gain will be good enough to setup and administer a higher
> > model
> > > of PIX. I have good firewalling experience but none with PIX.
> > >  thanks
> > >
> > > sam sneed
> > Here's the product data sheet.
> >
> > http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/fw/sqfw500/prodlit/px501_ds.htm