A second volume to a book is additional, new material. It supplements the
first volume.

A second edition is a revision of the first edition. It replaces the first
edition.

Doyle has two volumes. The first one covers RIP, IGRP, EIGRP, OSPF, static
routing, and routing fundamentals. The second volume covers BGP, IP
multicast, NAT, and IPv6. Definitely get the first volume and maybe the
second.

Halabi has two editions. They both cover BGP. There would be no reason to
get the first edition. The second edition replaces it. Definitely get the
second edition, though. It's great.

Priscilla

At 04:38 PM 11/12/01, Eric Rivard wrote:
>I've heard everyone say that Internet Routing Architectures vol 1 from
>Cisco Press is a must have book to learn BGP. I am wondering if I should
>get vol 1 or vol 2. It seems like they are almost the same, but I know
>Jeff Doyles book vol 1 and 2 cover different topics. Has anyone read
>both and what do you recommend?
>
>Eric Rivard
>Sr. System Engineer
>MCSE CCNA CCDA CCSA CCSE