He won't be as suprised as you.  I believe it is you who doesn't know the
law as well as you think, cough, cough.

Bottom line, your completely incorrect.

First, USC 17 is what we're talking about regarding Copyright law.  One can
find it at:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/

The sections that are relevant for this discussion are 106, 108 and 109.

First, section 106 spells out what exclusive rights are given to the owners
of copyrighted works.  Section 109 then goes on to say what _limitations_
there are on those exclusive rights.  I quote:

"(a) Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106(3), the owner of a
particular copy or phonorecord lawfully made under this title, or any person
authorized by such owner, is entitled, without the authority of the
copyright owner, to sell or otherwise dispose of the possession of that copy
or phonorecord. "

In other words, when you buy a book, i.e a copyrighted work, you can then
"sell or dispose of the possession of that copy".  If I can find someone
willing to buy a book I just bought for 10 times what I purchased it for, I
can sell it to them.  I can give it to someone ("dispose of possession") or
just burn it if I wish.  The only caveat that would apply is that the book
must be purchased through an agency authorized by the publisher.  If I buy a
book from a bookstore which purchased it from the printer authorized by the
publisher, the copy is "lawfully made under this title". (any legitimate
bookstore would fit this definition) I can then sell/dispose of that copy
however I want, I just can't make additional copies.

HINT: This is why it's called COPY RIGHT, as long as you don't make
_additional_ copies you essentially have free use of your _particular_ copy.

Common sense would tell you that this is true, if it were not then all used
book stores would be violating copyright laws.  Used book stores and rare
book auctions are certainly common place enough and lucrative enough that
publishers would be coming after them if they were in any way a violation of
copyright.  Obviously, they are not.

Finally, according to section 108, the only extra rights that libraries are
given are in regard to _copying_ a copyrighted work.  Obviously, this has no
relevance whatsoever to giving away a book that has been purchased. (yes,
lending a book to someone would be covered as "dispose of possession")

In other words, it's just as Chuck said, the only danger of copyright
violation would be if one were to photocopy a book and then distribute it.

Perhaps you should consider an apology to Chuck and I would advise you to do
your own research before instructing others.

-Kent