What interface is the modem connected to?  If you're dialing into the
console port then you should turn off flowcontrol on the modem.  You should
use hardware flow control only if you're connecting to the AUX port.

I'm sure you've already checked this, but make sure the speed setting on the
line matches the modem.  The AUX and console ports have different default
settings.

HTH,
John

>>> " 416South"  11/14/01 2:42:19 PM >>>
I'm able to get this modem to dial into the router just fine. Problem is
still driving me nuts is that all the characters are showing up as garbage
(x~<`?z?33?)messed up stuff.  I am using Hyperterm and have tryed with
other programs as well.  Has anyone been successful with dialing into
routers that may have had the same problems?
I'm using a USR modem set at
9600 baud
flow control hardware
Emulation is VT100