memory is hazy. in the original radio broadcast, there is much to do made
about "the answer". those seeking learn that the answer to "life, the
universe, and everything" is 42 and they realize it makes no sense. they are
told that the answer makes perfect sense if they ask the right question.
they commission the mice to run another computer study to derive the
question. the program is terminated prematurely when the Volgons (?) destroy
Earth 5 minutes too soon, which was the impetus that began Ford Prefect's
adventures, and his discoveries of the true purpose of the earth and all it
contains.

My recollection is that we never do learn the question, and therefore are
left with an answer that is totally meaningless, even if it is "the answer".

I've always enjoyed the delicious irony of hearing people throw out "42" as
the answer, wondering if said speaker understands that without knowing the
proper question, the "answer" indeed is meaningless.

in my student days there was an apocryphal story making the rounds about the
philosophy professor whose final consisted of one question: "why?"

the only A was given to the student who answered "because!"

if only router configurations were so open ended....

Chuck