And I would like to add a comment about something I took for granted. I
assumed that a wireless sniffer couldn't see traffic if its MAC address was
not on the list of MAC addresses at the access point. I thought it wouldn't
be able to join the wireless network. I was wrong. It can see traffic
(unless the traffic is WEP or LEAP encrypted, I would guess). The host
running the sniffer can't actually use the access point to reach the wired
network (because of the MAC access control lists) but it can still see
packets on the wireless RF side.

I guess that makes sense, but it surprised me. One caveat: this testing was
done with access control lists configured on a non-Cisco access point, so
may not apply to a Cisco access point. Anyone know?

(Also, it's a bit different from applying the access control lists on the
wired switch which we were discussing. In that case, one wouldn't assume
that there was any security on the wireless side, I guess.)

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com