A few items of interest.

On one of my 5500s, the IOS loaded was bad from Cisco. When I called them
about it, it was pulled from the site by the next morning. But, the damage
had been done. I had a sup3 without any flash cards. I did not have enough
flash to load the new and keep the old image. When the image was corrupted,
there was not ANY back out available. The BOOT ROMS were too old to have the
XMODEM upload available, no flash card, no reset like other sup3s( they are
not created equal) and no microcode for TFTP loading. Cisco's official word
was to RMA the board which was a 24 hour turn around. I ended up borrowing a
flash card for a Cat5500 ( then bought a used one for emergencies), loaded
it on a another cat with a good version of the IOS and booting off of SLOT0
which now held the card. Blew away the bad code, reloaded it and reset to
cat to boot of the internal flash.

The moral of the story is to look up exactly which sup you have and then
check for recovery techniques. If you dont have recovery techniques then you
have a chance being toasted.

MikeS