At 10:44 AM 11/19/01 -0500, Mark Latis wrote:
>What is the purpose of the Loopback and the Null interfaces ?
>(I know that the loopback interface can be used to emulate an always-on
>interface to be used for point-topoint unnumbered links )
>
>Thanks,
>Mark
Well, you got the loopback part right.  That way, if a single router has at
least one of his WAN links up, you can still reach him by one address.  I
suppose it is more of a "slightly easier administration" issue.

As for the null interface, if you put "ip unreachables" in it, it can be
used for "black hole routing".  This is faster than using an ACL and does
not use cef.  (woohoo).

You will typically find routing protocols that create summary routes that
lead to the Null0 interface.

-Carroll Kong