It's not as simple as just looking at the window size.  First, the "who" is
the receiving station.  The "how frequent" depends.  Normally, a TCP stack
implements what is called "delayed ACK", meaning it will not simply just
send an ack the instant it receives a packet that requires an ack.  It will
normally wait some small amount of time (somewhere around 200-500ms) to see
if it has any data to send that it can piggyback on the ack (this is good
for slow networks).  However, delayed acks don't come into play if the
reciver gets multiple packets requiring an ack.

On a fast network, the receiver is always getting multiple segments that
require an ack, so it won't wait and will typically send an ack after the
first 2 or 3 segments requiring an ack, depending on how fast the TCP stack
can process the segments.

This is a good thing since if the receiver waited until the max number of
TCP segments had arrived per the window size, the sender will be idle until
it receives an ack of all of the outstanding segments (even a delay of
10-20ms can be "long" on a fast network).  A sender cannot send additional
TCP segments once it sends the max allowed by the window, so it will sit
there until it gets an ack.  By sending acks every 2 or 3 segments, the
receiver ensures that the sender can continually put packets on the wire and
keep the traffic flowing smoothly.

If you have a long delay, high bandwidth network such as a satellite link,
it's possible the sender could completely fill the window size before
receiving an ack (this is why it's generally a good idea to have very large
window sizes on these types of networks).  This can lead to long delays
waiting for the ack from the receiver. It's also possible for the sender to
fill the window if the receiver is a very slow computer since the sender can
send TCP segments faster than the receiver can process them.  Again, this
can lead to long delays while the sender waits for acks of it's already sent
segments.

This topic and many others related to TCP/IP are given excellent coverage in
"TCP/IP Illustrated Vol 1" by the late, great Richard Stevens.  I highly
recommend it.

HTH,
Kent