At 05:14 PM 11/26/01, Rashid Lohiya wrote:
>Hey All,
>
>I was trying to help a freind get his DHCP working, but got stuck.
>
>He has a DHCP server set up across the WAN.

What kind of WAN? Frame, ISDN, leased line, etc.? Who is the service
provider? Is it a VPN? It should work, but maybe there's something weird
about the WAN. For example ISDN with PPP does its own IP address negotiation.

>I know that routers drop broadcasts, so I thought I would be able to turn
>the DHCP/UDP broadcasts into unicasts by providing an ip-helper address, on
>the local ethernet pointing to the remote DHCP server, so I did, but this
>did not work.

This should work. Make sure you have a scope set up on the DHCP server for
the local Ethernet subnet.

>Secondly I tried putting on the ip dhcp-server a.b.c.d command, and thought
>maybe this would point incoming traffic towards the DHCP server, but again
>this did not work.

This shouldn't be necessary.

>I even tried doing the old ip forward-protocol udp statement.

This shouldn't be necessary. By default, the helper address forwards a
bunch of UDP packets, including DHCP. The ip forward-protocol command is
used (with no) to get it not to forward ones you don't want.

>Then when I did a show run, I saw a no ip directed-broadcast statement, on
>the ethernet so I enabled that, but still no difference.

That won't help and does represent a minor security problem. (It lets
hackers send directed broadcasts, for example, to ping your entire subnet.)

>Pls. Can someone give me a brief nudge in the direction I should be going
>next, or point out where I am going wrong.

We can't look into our crystal balls and psychically determine a solution
to your problem. ;-) But with more info, we can hazard some guesses.

>The DHCP server is working OK! I can ping it from the routers and can get
>addresses from the local network.

Make sure you can ping it from the Ethernet subnet. If you use extended
ping you can make sure that the source IP address is the router's address
on its Ethernet interface.

>The PC's are fine, waiting for an IP Address.
>
>My brain is tired and any hints would be appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>
>Rashid Lohiya
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Priscilla Oppenheimer