Sim,

To show the status of the ports you need to use the "show port" command.
This can be issued on it'e own and will list all ports in the chassis; or
with a module number i.e. "show po 2" to show all ports on that slot; or
with a single port number "sh po 2/1".  As far as I am aware Gigports on
supervisor modules are the same as any other in that the ports on the stanby
can be used but I have not checked the 5.1(1) release notes.  A quick check
would be to connect them back to back i.e. 2/1 to 2/2.

As far as adding more supervisors, two things would put me off doing this.

1.  This is the most expensive way of adding more ports and I'm not a
shareholder.

2.  You don't have anymore slots available in the chassis.

Hope this helps.

Filo.